Ask Dr. Baer: Dental Fun Facts
Everyone loves dental fun facts and dental tips. Fun, fun, fun! Dr. Baer and our team at Baer Dental Designs came across these dental fun facts recently and thought you might enjoy!
- The second most common disease in the United States is cavities. The first is the common cold.
- There are almost 9,000 accidental pockings and piercings with toothpicks per year.
- X-rays may be an effective tool in preventing strokes.
- A child will have 20 baby teeth by the time he or she is 2 years old. Through childhood, kids gradually lose baby teeth and grow 32 permanent teeth, including wisdom teeth.
- According to consumer reports, dentists are among the 5 most trusted professionals in the United States.
- Approximately $2 billion a year is spent on dental products like toothpastes, mouthwashes and dental floss.
- The average American spends about 38 days brushing teeth over his or her lifetime.
- Kids in North America spend half a billion dollars per year on chewing gum.
- Approximately 94 percent of Americans say they brush nightly while only 81 percent say they brush first thing in the morning.
- Grand Rapids, MI was the first American city to fluoridate its water.
- Earliest record of a toothbrush was found in Chinese literature about 1600 AD
- The natural bristles of early toothbrushes were taken from the necks and shoulders of swine, especially pigs living in colder climates like Siberia and China.